Sunday, March 04, 2007

rubber gloves and catheters

So next week will be my last in military medical school, after which they'll shove me somewhere fitting. As always, I'll only know my posting right before I'm posted. A policy that has been long adhered to since perhaps the inception of the Ministry Of Defense. Ergo, no one is actually prepared for where they're going, maybe so we won't have time to protest against going somewhere before we're already there. After which there is no point in protesting. The only thing you can do, really, is to be declared medically unfit -- something I don't see myself doing.

The past fifteen weeks (wow, already?) have been interesting, although mostly unengaging. On the first day, we were given nineteen textbooks to read. Obviously, there are some I haven't even touched. I thought burrowing my nose in books was a thing of the past after getting my diploma (even if university is looming beyond the horizon, it's still a long way off). Also, I think I'm putting on weight. On the bright side of things, I aced most of the tests without much effort. This is turning out to be my mantra (the lack of effort part, not the scoring part).

I would say the hospital attachment sucked big time. The ambulance attachment was one hell of a ride. Everything else was just meh. Incidentally, is it just me or is it the norm for the military to take in surly, obnoxious halfwits with attitude problems to be trained as medics? I'm not one of them, so why am I here? I think I've been put here to be the savior of the medical department, lest everybody loses faith in us.

Much has been learned and forgotten. Much more had been taught, but the schedule clashed with my beauty sleep more often than not. Many friends have been made, and fortunately more than enemies. At least, in my head; most of them probably don't know I hate their guts. I think it's better that way -- I don't have to waste my breath or my time proving I'm right.

I think that's about it, really.
*
PLAYLIST
Bandages -- Hot Hot Heat
Scared -- Albert Hammond Jr.
Another Saturday Night -- Cat Stevens
Hospital Beds -- Cold War Kids
Back in Town -- Everclear
*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home