Tuesday, March 21, 2006

what shoes to fill

It just blew me away. I am overwhelmed, amazed, and definitely proud of you. I knew you would one day leave the job you've had for the past eighteen years, but I never thought it would be by choice. Wow. Since I was four. Wow. I have always thought how perfect this job was for you, being the selfless and ambitious person that you are. Wow. Look back and be astonished by the legacy you have left, the people you have helped, the things you have done. Wow. From rags to riches, literally. Wow. What big shoes to fill.

I'm glad I had that talk with you. You have allayed my worries and fears. You have lifted the weight in my heart. You made me smile again. I hope you succeed in whatever endeavors you wish to pursue next, not just because it would be financially beneficial for me, but because you deserve to be happy after all the light you have shone into the hearts of so many. If you would like me to be part of it, I'd be more than happy to help. I can almost hear your usual refrain: "There's no such thing as a free lunch." But this time, it will make me smile even more.

And here I was thinking they didn't want you anymore. How could I ever have doubted you? And your reasons, as always, make perfect sense. It's been eighteen long years, and you're looking for something new to do. And with your heart condition, there would be times when you wouldn't be able to strive for the people with such vigor and dedication. And the long hours and late nights would be increasingly harder to keep up with, and you'd rather spend that time with your family.

I love that reason the best. I hope we'll be best friends again, like the good ol' days. I can't wait. Sure, sometimes you can be emotionally distant, but that must be partly due to the job taking its toll on you. I cannot ask for a better mentor, teacher, father, provider. In such matters, I am blessed. To have someone like you in my life, even the sky is not the limit. That, you have shown to be true. All the things you've been through, your experience must be invaluable. I aspire to be like you, with a few minor tweaks here and there (I hope you don't mind). What big shoes to fill.


PLAYLIST
The Masterplan -- Oasis
Supersonic -- Jamiroquai
King For A Day -- Green Day
Frank Sinatra -- Cake
Provider -- N.E.R.D.
*

1 Comments:

Blogger the narcissist said...

unfortunately, i'm already three sizes bigger than him.

7:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home