Monday, February 06, 2006

subtracting the abstract

A cute little thing happened today. My baby sister started crying because she got upset. She got upset on account of a ball she got for her birthday. The ball, just one out of the four billion presents she received, is a multi-colored soft toy the size of your palm with an electronic device inside. The electronic device detects pressure, and so every time the ball is squeezed or bounces on the floor it lets out a plaintive mewing -- the kind a dejected, melancholic cat would make.

Upon hearing this, my sister ran in the direction of her father and started bawling real loud. The funny thing is, I saw her playing around with it just a minute ago. But the second I left the room and she was alone with the toy, it must have grown fangs and tried to to bite her head off. My sister just turned seven. Happy birthday, baby girl! Now grow up, will you?

Meanwhile, as I was trying to sound all scholarly and smart by reading up on George P. Lakoff, I realized just how shallow my mind is. Here is a guy who starts linguistic wars because he probably thinks it's fun, and there are not many things in life that a genius with a multi-layered mind would consider fun. And so, between trying to understand the reappraisal of a metaphor and visualize what an embodied mind would look like in my head, I gave up.

I didn't even know what a transformational grammar was, or generative semantics and syntax, or conceptual metaphor, or cognitive psychology and linguistics, or foundation ontologies and empirical validation -- what do these words mean?! What the hell is an empirically responsible philosophy?!! I think it is good to admit when I'm out of my depth, and here I am practically sinking.

I tried to read up on those things too but, really, they're just beyond me. The more effort I made, the less insight I gained. It was giving me a headache, and I'm already having diarrhoea from the worm. I think I'll just play with my guitar, get a good workout done, and maybe watch some television if I have the time. Yeah, that's the way. Shallow minds rejoice!


PLAYLIST
Knife Party -- Deftones
Talk Show On Mute -- Incubus
I Like Dirt -- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Don't Stop Dancing -- Creed
TV Pro -- The Vines
*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home