Monday, February 27, 2006

a passing

A quiet, gentle old man passed away today. I am glad to have known you, old man. You possessed a sublime benevolence to which I can only aspire. You were a great father and husband, and an outstanding influence to your grandchildren.

It's funny and quite amazing that this old man admired the Japanese for their military efficiency and discipline even after what they did to him during the war. His stories were always inspired and inspiring, and I loved listening to them when I was growing up.

Thinking about it, technically, you were family to me only through the marriage of your son to my aunt. Nevertheless, you were always family to me -- blood relation or no. I am nothing like you, but I wish to emulate all the good you have done in your life. I am glad to have known you, old man. I should have spent more time listening to you.

You were a simple man enjoying the simple pleasures in life, but you were never one to indulge. I will pray for you at your funeral today, and I will take comfort in knowing that you don't need my prayers; they will welcome you back with wide open arms in heaven, where you truly belong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home