Saturday, September 25, 2004

what's in a name?

ten·chi mu·yo (tûrn-chē 'mü-yō) Pronunciation Key
n.


An expression in Japanese, generally translated as: "There is no need for Heaven and Earth."

----------
[From Japanese: ten (てん), heaven; + chi (ち), earth; + muyo (むよ), unnecessary.]

I came across the phrase while reading a graphic novel (for the fellow comic book connoisseurs here, I’m referring to the Mark Waid/Alex Ross magnum opus "Kingdom Come"), and it’s stuck ever since. Personally, I feel it appeals to both the rational and the emotional faculties of the mind; profoundly clever and sad at the same time. It is as much a matter-of-fact as it is a passionate outcry of sentiment. I like to think my writing works on as many levels. As well, part of my brain subscribes to the notion of the futility of having a heaven and an earth; which is just me being pragmatic rather than nihilistic. Or so, I choose to believe.

1 Comments:

Blogger the narcissist said...

Best guess? Ripley's issuing a cease and desist for making them look bad. Oops! Just kidding! (mental note: check ego at door.) Thanks for the kind words. By the way, I read your blogs and I can't see how mine is any better. As they say, "brevity is the soul of wit." And I don't have any.

Insomniacs rule and sleepers drool? Hah!
Bed always beckons... ;)

11:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home